Geminids Meteor Shower 2020
Date: 13th of Dec, 2020
Time: 10 PM - 3 AM
Location: Wadi Shawkah, Ras Al Khaimah
The last meteor shower of 2020!
Event location has been changed to serve our attendees better and ensure their safety in collaboration with the Ras Al Khaimah Tourism Authority.
Join us on the night of the 13th of Dec, 2020 at Wadi Shawkah and witness the Geminids Meteor Shower.
The Geminids are considered to be one of the most spectacular meteor showers of the year, with the possibility of sighting around 120 meteors per hour at its peak. The shower owes its name to the constellation Gemini because the meteors seem to emerge from this constellation in the sky.
Unlike most other meteor showers, the Geminids are not associated with a comet but with an asteroid: the 3200 Phaethon. The asteroid takes about 1.4 years to orbit the Sun. You don’t need any special equipment or a lot of skills to view a meteor shower. All you really need is a clear sky away from light pollution and lots of patience. Find more details here.
- Date: 13th Dec, 2020
- Time: 10:00 PM – 3:00 AM
- Location: Wadi Shawkah, Ras Al Khaimah – UAE (Exact location pin will be sent through email after registration)
- A Brief About The Event
- Sky Mapping Session
- Telescope Observation
- Q & A Session
- Masks are MANDATORY!
- Social distancing must be practiced at all times.
- The venue for the event is at Wadi Shawkah, Ras Al Khaimah. A precise location map will be sent to you by email after you register for the program.
- Transportation is upon you for your convenience.
- No need to have a 4×4 car, though recommended.
- Be sure to have warm clothing at hand as it will get cold during the night.
- Although Dubai Astronomy Group will be providing mats, you are requested to carry any necessities you might deem necessary over the period of the event (snacks, water, mats, seats etc.) for your hygiene and safety.
- Please bring the hard copy or soft copy of registration confirmation number/ email to ensure your entry.
- You are requested to bring your Emirates ID with you to be presented at the venue upon request.
- Dubai Astronomy Group paid members are requested to bring their membership ID card to be presented upon request.
- No alcohol is allowed! This is a family-friendly event.
- The meteors will not be visible through the telescopes. Only celestial observation will be done through the telescopes.